MathType (i.e., Math Editor in Blackboard)
Posted: June 7, 2020 at 1:51 pm
Faculty members should first consider using MathType. MathType is an equation editor that embeds directly into Microsoft Word and/or the LMS (e.g., Blackboard, Canvas). There is also an online version that works with Google Docs and Word on iPad.
PLEASE NOTE: All Mason faculty/staff have access to MathType (Math Editor in Blackboard) directly through the Blackboard LMS. Anywhere you have the content editor you can launch the Math Editor tool (as long as you expand to all three lines of text editor options).
To access Math Editor in Blackboard, do the following:
- Accessing any content editor within your Blackboard course site, click on the Math Editor button.
- In Math Editor, start entering equations. You can also copy and paste equations directly into the interface.
For additional information on using MathType and the existing features, please review the following resources:
- *MathType’s full documentation
- *MathType Web – Handwritten Input (coming soon to Bb — Sum/Fall 2020)
- *Introduction to MathType (YouTube), PIMA Community College (2:07)
- This YouTube video provides an excellent example of using a screen reader to access content from MS Word’s Equation Editor vs. MathType.
PLEASE NOTE: The ATI owns licenses of standalone copies of MathType that can be provided to faculty and/or academic units on a case-by-case basis. For more information, please contact the ATI.
Write to Korey Singleton at firstname.lastname@example.org