Students with a documented print related disability are able to receive accessible text services through a referral process from the Office of Disability Services.
If an accessible format is unavailable from membership organizations, we will acquire the material directly from the publisher or manually scan. Manually scanning includes the removal of textbook cover, high-speed scanning, and Optical Character Recognition (OCR) processing.
The level of markup/structure applied to each electronic file is determined on a case-by-case basis. For additional information on the textbook/document markup process, see Textbook Accessibility Levels. Once the markup process is complete, books will be rebound with plastic comb binding and returned to client. The accessible document will be delivered electronically (i.e. Email or Dropbox).
Accessible Textbook Request Process
Processing requests require a minimum turnaround time of two weeks. Depending on content and other variables (i.e. STEM), turnaround times may be longer. We handle these special circumstances on a case-by-case basis.
Complete the online *Accessible Textbook Request.
- Select ‘Alternate Formate’.
- Choose ‘New Request’.
- Sign in with your Mason NetID and password.
- Select ‘Searching for books’.
- Enter the textbook title or ISBN number and click the search button.
- Click on the plus sign (add content link) to add textbook to cart.
- Repeat search for all textbooks needed.
- Select ‘Checkout’ to review textbooks.
- Upload receipts directly to the form (publishers require proof of purchase).
- After attaching receipts select the ‘send requests’ link.
- A confirmation email will be sent to your GMU email address.
ATI will only start processing a request when the form and proof of purchase are submitted.
- ATI receives the request and begins the publisher search and will start the processing of materials.
- If an electronic copy of material(s) is not available from the publisher ATI can scan the student’s copy of the book if the student agrees. This process involves removing the spine of the textbook. The book will be rebound with a plastic comb binding.
- *If material is rented, scanning ‘is not’ an option since process requires removal of book spine. ATI would then discuss alternatives.
- ATI will notify the student by email when there book file is ready and will deliver the electronic material via Dropbox.