Captions – Upload to YouTibe/Vimeo and DIY
Caption files contain time coded text of what is said in a video/audio to appear in sync with the video. Captions often appear at the bottom of a video and can be turned on or off.
Captions are useful for students and employees who are deaf/hard of hearing and/or whose native language is not English.
ATI will provide a caption file when videos are hosted outside of Kaltura. If videos are hosted within Kaltura, the caption file will be uploaded to the requested video.
Upload Captions Files and DIY Captions
- Login to Vimeo
- Select Videos from the menu
- Choose a video
- Then select Distribution
- Click on Subtitles
- Under Subtitles, click on + (New File)
- Choose the language
- Select Captions under Type
- Upload the caption file by clicking on Choose file, browse and select the caption file and Save
Use YouTube’s auto captioning for a DIY alternative. Auto captioning will have error’s and can be edited after they are created.
- Login to YouTube
- Navigate to Your Channel
- Then select YouTube Studio
- Click on Videos
- Select a video
- Choose Subtitles
- Under Video subtitle, click on the options button next to Published Automatic
- Select Edit on Classic Studio
- Click on Edit
- Make corrections to the captions
- After corrections are made, click Save changes